RE: unique constraint violation on 8i import but not on 9i

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:07:10 -0400

Your guess seems the most likely cause of the problem to me as well and that is what I would check first before I did full research to see exactly what was causing the error in 8i, which I guess would be to load a version of the table in 8i without the primary key enabled and then check for duplicates. If that came up empty (no duplicates), I'd probably see if the primary key could be enabled. If that found duplicates, I'd be looking for a bug in 9i or a timing issue about when indexes and constraints were enabled or a difference in value interpretation between 8i and 9i including nls, characterset, and anything else I could think of, unless finding out what was wrong in 9i was not important. And I'd sure be wondering how the duplicate ever got into 8i in the first place, but that is a different matter.

Yep, I think your guess that there was existing data is a very good guess and worth a quick check before embarking on detailed exploration of the exact cause of the problem.

My guess is that we differ a wee bit about what each of us thinks is a guess, but that we both endorse applying logic and science to troubleshooting. Maybe a better way to say that is "good guessing prunes the research tree; silly guessing just wastes time." Or perhaps "x seems so much more likely than all other possibilities combined and it is so cheap to check that I'm going to rule that out first, before any other research." Probably that is what you consider "proper troubleshooting." Me too.

Regards,

mwf