Re: Java in Stored Procs

From: Alex Gorbachev <ag_at_oracloid.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 18:40:13 -0400

Forgive me slightly humorous tone but... You need to avoid putting this crap in the database. So use any means for that - tell your developer that it's slow by design, that it's compiled on the fly into a bunch of SELECTs and PL/SQL code, tell him that it cases all kind of ORA-600 (you wouldn't be far from truth). You target should be to convience him to convert it to PL/SQL and make sure he doesn't become a PL/SQL developer in one week - nothing worse than Java developer writing code in PL/SQL! ;-)

On 7/3/07, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote:
> Today one of my developers asked about having java code in our DB
> (10.2.0.2). He had already been playing around with it some, and
> found it much slower. Not really a scientific test, but he found that
> calling java routines from the PowerBuilder front-end could handle 1
> million records in 52s, where as calling the same routine from within
> his stored proc was much slower (10k records in 24s). He's now
> looking at native compilation [1] as a way to speed things up.
>
> We are "a java shop" and the main goal here is re-use of existing data
> processing code, so that we don't have to update the same logic in
> multiple places.
>
> I thought I remembered reading a paper or presentation that mentioned
> some solid reasons for keeping java out of the database. Feuerstein
> or Kyte perhaps.
>
> I'd like to know what you fine folks have to say about the matter.
> Should never the twain meet? Anyone with ncomp experience?
>
> [1]
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14187/chten.htm#sthref505
>
> --
> Don Seiler
> oracle blog: http://ora.seiler.us
> ultimate: http://www.mufc.us

Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://blog.oracloid.com
BAAG party - www.BattleAgainsAnyGuess.com