data type conversion in 10g

From: David Boyd <davidb158_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:42:31 -0400

We have Oracle 10.2.0.3. There is one field, test1 that is definite as char(2). When we use 'where test1<88', it works fine in 9i, but we get 'ORA-01722 invalid number' error in 10g. Once I add single quotes around 88, the error is gone. I know the best practice is not to use implicit conversion. Just wonder why it works in 9i, but not in 10g, more restriction in 10g or if there is any change in 10g that causes the error tracked?

See what you’re getting into…before you go there. http://newlivehotmail.com