Slow sqlplus connection

From: Graham Ross <grahamaross_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I currently have a strange problem and I wonder if anyone on the list has seen this.

We currently have a RAC database (10.2.0.1) running on an AIX 5.3 server. I backed up the database using RMAN to TSM, and from this backup wanted to build a copy of the live database on an alternate server. There were some problems involved in this in that a) there already existed a database on the server with the same name and dbid of the live system (I inherited this), and b) there was no connection between the live and the test servers.

I shut down the existing copy of live, and moved all the files out of harms way, and then restored and recovered the backup converting it to a single instance, (the other copy is a full RAC copy). So far so good. I then changed the name and dbid using nid and brought the database up. It came up successfully, but now connecting the database via sqlplus was taking exactly 75 seconds. While it all worked fine after that, it is annoying and having an adverse impact on our testing. Changing the tcp_keepinit kernel parameter from 150 to 20 took the connection time from 75 to 10 seconds. This is better, but still not a fix.

I can't help thinking that there is some process trying to start and failing, and I can't for the life of me think of what it could be. I expect it's something blindingly obvious, but I'd be delighted to hear any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

graham

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/