RE: more on 'high cpu...'

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 18:13:32 -0400

Question: Is the "hundreds of rows relatively quickly" the entire indistinct result set?

Simple test, select count(*) from the view with the same predicates. If that is fast, then try the view without the distinct, include a dummy column for the rownum so the plan can't get compressed, and then select distinct from the redefined view.

If you're just observing that hundreds of rows (possibly of millions or more) start coming back quickly, then the count(*) will take a long time too and you'll know someone else earlier in the thread was correct that the non-distinct version of the view was just doing some variety of first rows result set or at least not needing to wait for the de-duplicated-tupling sort.