Re: oracle clusterware: stonith

From: Andreas Piesk <a.piesk_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:04:57 +0200

Pedro Espinoza schrieb:
> Does oracle clusterware remotely power reset? If I recall correctly

>> from what I have read from Kevin Closson's blog, it is not so.

> However, this presentation by an oracle insider claims that they
> support stonith.
>
> On slide 11:
>
> IO fencing via stonith algorithm (remote power reset).
>

> http://oukc.oracle.com/static05/opn/oracle9i_database/40168/053107_40168_source/index.htm

thanks for the link but i believe what Kevin said is true. AFAIK clusterware does neither support STONITH nor I/O-fencing. i would be happy if i'm wrong because proper fencing is crucial for clusters IMHO. self-fencing as in clusterware is better than no fencing but it is not safe, especially when fencing means "call a binary in user mode and hope it works". it won't work if memory is exhausted or there are problems with the starting environment like missing or unexecutable binaries due to filesystem corruption.
unfortunately i haven't seen any improvement in fencing in 11g. it's the same procedure as in 10g, no STONITH, no I/O-fencing, no self-fencing in kernel mode.

regards,
-ap