10g, swapping stored outlines & _optimizer_ignore_hints

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:06:35 -0700

I've used the stored outline swapping trick (metalink 92202.1) with great success several times in the past, but I'm having trouble getting it to work in 10g so I'm hoping one of you have already encountered this and will be kind enough to share the solution. Here's what I've tried so far:

Background:

What I've tried:

Any ideas what I'm missing here with either of the above approaches? My understanding was that dbms_outln.create_outline would create an outline based on the plan currently in the shared pool (v$sql_plan), but that doesn't seem to be the case based on my observations above - maybe it's just because I have the hidden parameter set to ignore hints? Does the swapping trick not work anymore in 10g due to the addition of ol$nodes?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Brandon