Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals.

From: Koppelaars, Toon <T.Koppelaars_at_centraal.boekhuis.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:37:08 +0200

Hi All,

I understand Lex was an active contributor to this list, so I thought this might be of interest.

As some of you know Lex and I embarked upon a joint project at the end of 2005 to write a book entitled "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals" (AM4DP in short). Due to unfortunate circumstances this project took much longer than orignally planned.

But I'm pleased to be able to inform you that Lex' last project is now finished: DHL delivered my copies yesterday, so it is safe to assume that the AM4DP book is available for the general public.

To give you an impression on what this book is about, here's a list of the chapters:

Chapter 1: Logic an Introduction.
Chapter 2: Set Theory an Introduction.
Chapter 3: Some more Logic.
Chapter 4: Some more Set Theory.
Chapter 5: Tables and Database States.
Chapter 6: Data Integrity Predicates.
Chapter 7: Specification of Example Database Design.
Chapter 8: Transition Constraints.
Chapter 9: Data Retrieval.
Chapter 10: Data Manipulation.

Chapter 11: Implementing Database Designs in Oracle. Chapter 12: Summary and Conclusions.

The main theme of this book is about how you can use set theory and logic to formally specify database designs and, most importantly, the involved data integrity constraints. In chapter 11 (a rather large one) we demonstrate a method, based on database triggers, to implement multi-row constraints using an Oracle DBMS.

The AM4DP book has been rigorously reviewed by Chris Date, Hugh Darwen, Cary Millsap and Frans Remmen.

If you have any questions regarding this book, feel free to contact me. If you plan on getting a copy, enjoy the read. All feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Toon

Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals By Lex de Haan and Toon Koppelaars
ISBN 978-1-59059-745-3
Apress