Re: Historical Plan & Time

From: Jeremy Paul Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:47:03 -0700

Oh yeah - almost forgot about DBA_HIST_ACTIVE_SESS_HISTORY. I was just using that view a few days ago too. One caveat though; I'm pretty sure that the ASH data is based on sampling - and may not always pick up some sql statements that run very quickly.

In our case there were two plans getting used with a particular statement and one was very bad and one was good. The good one ran in a second or two and the bad one didn't finish in 8 hours. The calculated costs were so close that a nightly stats job had been occasionally causing the optimizer to switch to the bad one. But when I queried the AWR ASH view it appeared that the bad plan was the only one being used except for a few small exceptions. As always YMMV...

-J

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL