RE: 10g vs 9i

From: Peter McLarty <p.mclarty_at_cqu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:00:45 +1000

Ujang

First thing is why is this happening.

This event is possibly due to sorting how do your SGA sizes compare are you using Automatic SGA Management and is their anything restricting your memory sort space. If you have free memory then I would certainly look at increasing the SGA size to reduce disk sorts. Once again not good unless you can identify why

Mark Bobak posted this SQL recently on this list to identify what is doing the sorts, but I think it is pretty obvious what is doing it in your case.

 select vsn.name, vss.value
   from v$sesstat vss,

        v$statname vsn

  where vsn.name like '%sort%'
    and vss.statistic# = vsn.statistic#
    and vss.sid in(select vs.sid
                     from v$session vs,
                          v$sort_usage vsu
                   where vs.saddr=vsu.session_addr);

As I said using a trace and explain plan a much clearer picture will emerge and the we can redesign the SQL or determine places for you to apply indexes to stop these problems. I suspect remove or reduce the source of your sorts and you will improve the performance.

Cheers

Peter