Re: Need for primary keys

From: Derya Oktay <deryaoktay_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:41:37 +0300

Hi Brian,

What about use of unique indexes? Maybe, in your db there exists unique indexes instead.

And I wonder if this is a datewarehouse or an OLTP database. We have a DWH for example. We got no PKs in partitioned tables, we prefer using local unique indexes, instead of using global PKs in partitioned tables. It has lots of advantages.

Also 3nf mostly suits with OLTP systems. Discussion of this topic may help to envision our thoughts.

Regards,
Derya.