Data Modeling With Logical Operators

From: kalyan inuganti <inuganti_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:06:33 -0500

All,

I am trying to model a simple rule (conditional) based data model with logical operators (and, or etc.). For example, a rule can be a composition of any number of rule conditionals (see below)-

Example rules:

  1. RuleConditionalA
  2. RuleConditionalA AND RuleConditionalB
  3. RuleConditionalA AND (RuleConditionalB OR RuleConditionalC)
  4. RuleConditionalA OR (RuleConditionalB AND RuleConditionalC) etc.

To enforce data integrity, I can come up with the RULE_CONDITIONAL, RULE_CONDITIONAL_RULE_XREF, RULE tables that enforce the relationship between RULE_CONDITIONALS and RULES. To come up with the rule composition, I can only think of a RULE_COMPOSITION table that has a RULE_ID and EXPRESSION. The expression column contains something along the lines of items 1,2,3, and 4. Expression is built through a User Interface using the RULE_CONDITIONAL, RULE, OPERATOR (s). However, the downside is that it has no ref integrity etc.

I am sure there is a standard data model for such problems and was wondering if anybody can direct me in the right direction, or give some pointers on how this can be modeled better.

Thanks,
Kal