RE: Need for primary keys

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:55:21 -0400

Well, if there are no PK constraints defined in the database for 60% of your tables then there are no FK constraints defined to 60% of your tables. This could be a problem or you could just have a huge number of transition/interface tables used to load or extract data from your database. You probably need to look a little closer at what the tables are used for.

Generally speaking it is good form to define PK constraints on every table that has a suitable PK candidate. Tables used only as part of a load or extract process often have no need for a PK since it will never be used, but this should be a small percentage of the total.