Re: auto start services?

From: Jeremy Paul Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:00:13 -0500

Services will auto-start if the DB crashes but when you shutdown the DB or service with srvctl it sets the TARGET to "OFFLINE". You can see the target with CRS_STAT or (my preference) the "crsstat" script from metalink note 259301.1. Oracle has some sample scripts to hook into FAN events and autostart services.

Recent thread on Oracle forums about this: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=494188&tstart=0

Sample code:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/products/rac/index.html

-Jeremy

PS - I finished my revisions to that research paper about services and plan to post it to ardentperf.com this weekend. It discusses this behavior.

On 5/31/07, Kerber, Andrew W. <Andrew.Kerber_at_umb.com> wrote:

> HI.
>
> We have a clustered database on sun-solaris 64 using veritas storage
> foundation. We can get the databases and listeners to start
> automatically, but the service created w/ srvctl will not start
> automatically, we have to do it manually. Is there a setting somewhere
> that will set the service to start automatically, or do I need to write
> something to start it when the database starts up?
>
> Andrew W. Kerber
> Senior Oracle DBA
> UMB
> andrew.kerber_at_umb.com
>

> "If at first you dont succeed dont take up skydiving."

> NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are
> confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual
> or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
> any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution
> or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in
> error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
> permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies
> of this message from your computer system. Thank you.

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL
http://www.ardentperf.com/category/technical