RE: Certification

From: Ted Coyle <oracle-l_at_webthere.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:46:26 -0400

"I got motivated to take the certification because I was on probation and felt I wasn't up to the job I had gotten and had damn well better study. The cert gave me an organized way to do it. I had to pay a nominal amount to do it and everybody knows that nothing worth doing is free."

It seems to me that if the certification is worth it, employers will pay and seek those who have hit, but this is not always the case. I've seen some places that do and others that don't.

Recently, I asked a software company VP friend of mine if the company he's now at values training. His response, "we want to hire the people who self-train, we don't want to hand hold." This comment got me thinking about the differences in people I know who work in large corporations and those I know working at startups. The majority of my colleagues working in startup-like environments are not certified, but they are very, very motivated, know a great deal about their subject, and they have influence and control over their personal situations. Those in the larger corporate settings tend to go with the flow and don't seek extra work unless it is corporate sanctioned or mandated in some way.

So I see certification two ways:
1. I value the discipline required to get the cert and secondarily value the knowledge gained.

2. I don't like certification because it can add false value to someone who studies well and is a good test taker, but who may not be able to problem solve on their feet when the heat is on.

The question is which person is the better hire: those who are required to certify, or those who could certify?

Personally, I tend to gravitate toward the self-motivated, generally un-certified crowd.

Ted

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition.