RE: RMAN backup of archived log fails

From: Sweetser, Joe <JSweetser_at_icat.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:47:48 -0600

Plus, the crosscheck command uses/looks at the Netbackup *catalog* so the files do not necessarily need to be directly available/accessible at the time the command is issued. But they do need to exist in the NB catalog - which you can check with some form of the NB bplist command (before issuing the crosscheck command), if I am not mistaken. If you need the exact syntax shoot me a message and I will try to locate an old script I have.

-joe

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:39 AM
To: tony.vanlingen_at_epa.qld.gov.au
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; Syed Jaffar Hussain Subject: Re: RMAN backup of archived log fails

On 5/29/07, Tony van Lingen <tony.vanlingen_at_epa.qld.gov.au> wrote:

        Syed,

        That's exactly what I'm afraid of. The backup exists on some tape

        managed by NetBackup, which may or may not be available at the time of

        issuing the crosscheck command. If it's not available, and what you say

        is true (and I understand it the same way), then I effectively lose a

        perfectly good backup, don't I. Surely there is a more robust way to get

        this sorted. Anyone?

If the file is available, crosscheck should find it.

If not, it will be marked as expired.

IAC, if you don't run crosscheck, your backup of the archive log will not work.

If files erroneously come up missing, you can always catalog them manually if need be.

--
Jared Still