RE: Exchange Partition

From: Darrell Landrum <darrell_at_landrum.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 22:46:44 -0500

A couple of ideas.

Is T_LDGR_FACT partitioned already? If so, just use merge each of your 2003 partitions into one and exchange that resulting partition with T_LDGR_FACT_2003 non partitioned table. T_LDGR_FACT would still have 2003 partition but it would now be empty and could be dropped.

or

If T_LDGR_FACT is not partitioned, create an empty copy of it T_LDGR_FACT_COPY, partitioned as one big partition covering the entire range of T_LDGR_FACT. Then exchange partition between T_LDGR_FACT and the empty copy and split the partitions of the resulting table down to the year, then exchange the 2003 partition with T_LDGR_FACT_2003. Clean up by merging partitions in T_LDGR_FACT _COPY and exchanging that back to T_LDGR_FACT or by dropping the original, now empty T_LDGR_FACT and renaming the partitioned copy of it to T_LDGR_FACT.

I hope this makes sense (and I hope I understand your question) as I'm slightly handicapped right now by all the details of the Lost season finally running through my head (Wow!).