Re: Certification

From: Chris Hoover <revoohc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 21:23:14 -0400

I normally agree about certification not being worth much more than the paper it is printed on. However, I have an opportunity in front of me for a 10-20k pay raise if I update my Oracle dba skills. The job would eventually require me to be certified, so I figured that if I go ahead and at least pass the oca and ocp tests. Taking these test will help me refresh and update my Oracle skills, along with giving me the edge I should need to land this job.

So spend about $300-500 now (no I won't actually be an ocp, since I don't have the money and time right now to pay to attend an Oracle Class), and be in position for a 10-20K raise in the next few months. If I get the position, then they would pay the money to complete the ocp and possibly even the master/expert level.

Just my 2 cents on why I want certification