String Manipulation

From: Shivaswamy Raghunath <shivaswamykr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 13:22:28 -0400

Hello.

I need to get "instance" from ('instance.company.com') on SQLPLUS. How I can do this?

I tried to use REGEXP_SUBSTR function, but could not make much headway. Please note that, the LENGTH(instance) may vary.

So I guess, give me before first occurence of period(.) in the string is what I should ask to get.

TIA,
Shiva