re: Hybrid database backups

From: <JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 16:11:39 -0500

Paula,

We back up our Production databases with a hybrid approach. All of these methods have proven valuable for recovering all or parts of data or objects at various times. Our Production applications (Student Information, Financials, etc.) are all 3rd Party COTS (Commercial,Off-The-Shelf) apps, but we have a number of "home-grown" apps as well.

1.  Hot (and sometimes Cold) backup of entire database.
2.  Full Export: Rows=Y
3.  Full Export: Rows=N
4.  Non-COTS schemas Export: Rows=N
5.  Non-COTS schemas Export: Rows=Y

The hot backups have, of course, been essential for recovery from hardware failures. The exports have been invaluable for recovery from User and/or Developer failures, even down to recovering specific rows from specific tables. It would be handy for you have to have exports for recovering data inserted or updated via nologging operations, depending on when/if that data might be recovered via point-in-time recovery from hot backup.

It may seem like a lot of different methods, but each one has allowed us to quickly recover specific items or refresh specific items to our Dev and/or Test DBs. Our COTS apps have imposed many bizarre requirements and restrictions on how we do things, so our hybrid approach has evolved over several years to meet our special needs.

Hope this helps.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin (Texas) Independent School District 512.414.9715 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

 I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid.  That's what I call Intelligent Design. -- God ("Origin of Species": Chris Smither)

Paula Stankus <paulastankus_at_yahoo.com>
05/09/2007 03:10 PM
Please respond to
paulastankus_at_yahoo.com

oracle-l_at_freelists.org
cc

Subject
re: Hybrid database backups

I inherited this mess:

Have a number of batch processes that I have no documentation for that run with or without the nologging option

On the same database we have database objects that are inserted/updated - written to during the day - OLTP

What is the easiest, basic method for backup, restore and recovery????

Thanks,
Paula
 Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.