RE: [SPAM] RE: Is it really necessary to reduce ITL Waits to near zero?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 16:31:41 -0400

Hi David,

I actually did read most of your last post, and I was going to reply. But, I got pulled into a meeting and sidetracked, etc....

Anyhow, to address your much simplified question: No, if ITL waits (or any kind of wait or contention) does not contribute to response time, don't waste your time. This is at the heart of Method R, which Cary describes in his book, and Amdahl's Law, which you can read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahls_law

Simple conclusion is that if it doesn't affect user response time, why do you care?

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taft, David Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:44 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: [SPAM] RE: Is it really necessary to reduce ITL Waits to near zero?

<the sound of crickets in the background> Yea, silence is pretty much what I got from my co-workers on this same subject. I probably provided too much info. Believe me, I do understand, however please let me ask this question:

If ITL Waits are not a significant contributor to response time nor causing deadlocks, can you think of a circumstance that justifies reducing ITL waits on an object? Must be my analness, but I keep feeling like I've overlooked something.

Thanks,

David Taft

        From: Taft, David

        My main concern is if this analysis is sound. I think it is, but would appreciate a second opinion ...

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 15:31:41 CDT