RE: RAC - Low FILE DESCRIPTOR LIMIT

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:11:46 -0700

Greetings,

I think MetaLink note 166650.1 is useful for someone who is unfamiliar with MetaLink and will help navigate what is there. Unfortunately it doesn't compensate for front line support people who don't have the expertise to answer a question quickly. I have found this to be true especially when requesting assistance with RAC difficulties. Trying to get assistance in this area can be quite challenging as it seems like many of the front line support people are unfamiliar with RAC setup and implementation. My suggestion would be to wait a couple of days after initiating the SR and if you don't have an answer in that period escalate the SR. I have had several experiences like this. Most recently after an O/S upgrade a full RMAN backup would cause problems on the node the backups were running on. After 6 weeks of going round and round with support and being asked to do many things which made no sense, either to me or the sysadmin I finally escalated the SR. The next analyst told me within a very short time of investigating the problem that there was a known issue with the patch level of RHEL3 we had just applied. When I asked why front line support was not aware of this if it was a known problem he wasn't really able to give me a good answer. My suggestion, escalate SRs quickly, you might, but not always, find someone who can answer your question.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center