Dropping and creating tables on the fly

From: Kerber, Andrew W. <Andrew.Kerber_at_umb.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:47:59 -0500

I just took over a data warehousing application, and discovered that as a part of the daily load process they developers wrote code that drops and creates tables on the fly, instead of using temporary tables. On the order of 10-15 tables each day, with more at end of month. I know that this can do all kinds of ugly things to the data dictionary. They have been doing this for only a few months fortunately, but I don't know how long it will be before we can implement changes. This is oracle 9.2.0.8. My question is, is there anything I can do to keep this from badly fragmenting the data dictionary why we try and fix the code? Are there any steps I could take that could reduce future issues till we get it resolved?

Andrew W. Kerber
Senior Oracle DBA
UMB

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system. Thank you.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue May 08 2007 - 10:47:59 CDT