Re: unicode character set

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 00:37:49 +0200

It depends on the characters (languages) you have to store.

If you need to support English only, AL32UTF8 is the best choice, since each char will use exactly 1 byte.

For most Western European languages, AL32UTF8 as well, for example in Italian we have

1) 95% of chars are the same as English, so they take 1 byte
2) 4.99% are accented chars, they take 2 bytes
3) 0.01% is EURO currency symbol, it takes 3 bytes

Do read the Globalization Support Guide, especially the chapter "Supporting Multilingual Databases with Unicode".

Don't use the legacy UTF8, it has been replaced by AL32UT8.

HTH
Alberto

On 5/4/07, genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com> wrote:

> Everybody:
>
> How do I pick a unicode character set? I need to build a new database and
> the vendor's requirement is a unicode char set. There are several unicode
> character sets. How do I decide on which one to use? Are there any
> rules/criteria?
>
> thank you
>
> Gene Gurevich

Alberto Dell'Era