RE: RMAN Recovery

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 07:38:10 -0400

My opinion is that the ETL programmer should not be running any script or any command on a database server machine. He/she should not even have an account on the machine.

Again, a database failure because of "operator error". Nothing to do with the software itself.

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jason Heinrich Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:51 PM
To: RWeiss_at_safmt.org; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: RMAN Recovery

Funny, I just read an AskTom post yesterday where he recommended against naming your redo logs with the .log extension for this very reason.

On 5/3/07 3:01 PM, Rick Weiss wrote:

Thanks to all for the help -the FM gave me the quickest work-around:

RESTORE DATABASE DEVICE TYPE DISK;   I will check the SHOW ALL output and set the configuration to use disk as the default, but I am in the middle of the restore process right now. The cause of my problem was an erroneous rm *.log that whacked all the redologs by an analyst trying to clean out a bunch of Oracle Warehouse Builder ETL log files.

Thanks for all of your fine responses, as usual ORACLE-L is the best.

Rick Weiss
Oracle Database Administrator

Student Assistance Foundation
P.O.Box 203101