Re: Hardware vs. Software RAID

From: <rjsearle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:59:43 +1000

I have brief experience with an old Solaris/Oracle (8.1.7) system, the performance was terrible the disks were never more than 50% utilised. The CPU was the bottleneck due to the s/w RAID but it was also raid 5 for everything !!. This also contributed to some data loss on specific hardware failure (HBAs etc)

I hated it. They eventually upgraded their storage to a SAN.

Russell