RE: RMAN Recovery

From: Reidy, Ron <Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:48:53 -0600

Rick,

We need to see the results of "show all;" from RMAN. My guess is that your recovery catalog thinks the backups are to tape, but your configuration shows disk.

rr

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Rick Weiss Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 12:41 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RMAN Recovery

I finally get the chance to recover from a failure and it turns out to be the worst kind - DW (NOARCHIVELOG)

10.2 on RedHat

I am using Robert's excellent RMAN book (which was delivered to me from Amazon only a week ago), but my RMAN isn't cooperating. I have good backups from a while back and have done these steps:

When I try to restore the database from disk backup, RMAN does this:

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu May 3 12:28:52 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

RMAN> connect target /;

connected to target database: EDWPRD01 (DBID=2782310113, not open)

RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance device type disk;

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog allocated channel: ORA_MAINT_DISK_1
channel ORA_MAINT_DISK_1: sid=409 devtype=DISK

RMAN> restore database;

Starting restore at 03-MAY-07
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=408 devtype=DISK released channel: ORA_DISK_1

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 05/03/2007 12:29:55 ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name: ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

RMAN>   I am going to continue RTFM'ing, but was wondering if anyone has seen this or know where I am missing the boat.

Thanks

Rick Weiss
Oracle Database Administrator

Student Assistance Foundation
P.O.Box 203101
2500 Broadway
Helena, MT 59620-3101

rweiss_at_safmt.org
(406) 495-7356

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by telephone (877-633-2436, ext. 0), and then delete it from your system.