RE: Parallel slave on the other nodes - RAC

From: <Ravi_Kulkarni_at_Dell.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:37:30 -0500

Shiva,

This is normal behaviour. If you dont like this or is causing issues for your App, please look at documenation on using INSTANCE_GROUPS &PARALLEL_INSTANCE_GROUP   INSTANCE_GROUPS is a Real Application Clusters parameter that you can specify only in parallel mode.
Used in conjunction with the PARALLEL_INSTANCE_GROUP parameter, it lets you restrict parallel query operations to a limited number of instances.

Thanks,
Ravi.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Shivaswamy Raghunath Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 10:38 AM
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Parallel slave on the other nodes - RAC

Hello.

I am on Redhat Linux. 3 Node RAC. 10.2.0.2.

I am using a service to connect to the instance thru sqlplusw. This service is not-TAF Enabled. So no pre-connect nothing. When I make a connection to any of the instances, I see parallel processes/slaves on the other two nodes/instances to which I have not connected. On the other node the process looks like "ora_pz99_* ". I have tried to research this. I have not got much info. But I don't have a clue why this is happening. The parallel parameters are (in case of interest):

NAME                                        VALUE
-----------------------------------         --------
parallel_adaptive_multi_user               TRUE
parallel_automatic_tuning                   FALSE
parallel_execution_message_size       4096
parallel_instance_group
parallel_max_servers                          160
parallel_min_percent                           0
parallel_min_servers                           12
parallel_server                                    TRUE
parallel_server_instances                     3
parallel_threads_per_cpu                      2

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shiva