RE: Terabytes of archived redo logs

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:22:14 -0400

How does Rman fit into this picture? Are you saying he should run a Physical Stand-by system just to fix a backup issue? It's not a horrible idea. But I'm wondering what the cost-benefit-ratio would be. Acquiring a completely new server and stocking it with enough disk to hold the database and the archivelog files?

Doesn't sound like a reasonable financial solution to me.

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org [mailto:JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org] Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 10:11 AM
To: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)
Cc: avramil_at_concentric.net; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Terabytes of archived redo logs

Here's a, perhaps, wild, thought. Could you establish Physical Standby databases on (an)other server(s)? Then you could let your Prod datbases automatically shovel the archived redo logs to them, periodically remove them from the Prod environment as you see they've been transferred to the Standbys. You could also gzip them on the Standby side to further save space. Gzip is such a CPU hog that I'd not want it running on the Prod server.

You'd also get disaster recovery databases in the process. Just a thought.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin (Texas) Independent School District 512.414.9715 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

Same-Day Stump Grinding! Senior Discounts!

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 09:22:14 CDT