Re: Datafile sizes

From: Zhu,Chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 21:18:40 +0800

constraints of using too many datafiles; 1. db_files need to be increased consistently. you can set it to a huge value if you like, but overhead in sga/pga is significant; 2. db_files means open file; you will need to enalrge system open file descriptor, as others says;
also pay attention to 1023 datafile limit per tbs; 3. with checkpoint, huge number of datafile *might* have impact. but it is kind of difficult to measure;

problem With resize:
you will need to enlarge your unix filesystem (not sure about vms) to resize your datafile, unless you preserve the disk storage at filesytem level;

is there any oppurtunity to archive the data? Consistently grow like that, is not a great idea for dba

--
Regards
Zhu Chao