RMAN Tape Media Volume Identification

From: <jim.silverman_at_thomson.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 15:28:55 -0400

All:

We have need to obtain information from RMAN including the specific tape volumes on which various backupsets are written. For example, "show me the information in the catalog for backupsets written between date 1 and date 2, including the tape volumes". I've diddled around with the myriad forms of the RMAN "list" command to try and obtain this information, but the only success I've had is using the syntax that includes "primaryKey" (i.e., BS Key) specifiers; without this keyword, the "Media:" field in the output is empty.

Unfortunately, in order to obtain these keys, you first have to issue the "list" command that generates scads of output, parse this output for the BS keys, and then assemble this information into another script that includes these keys in "list" commands in another RMAN session.

This can't be this hard.

Hopefully I'm missing something perfectly obvious. Any clues? TIA...

Jim Silverman
Senior Systems Database Administrator
Solucient, LLC - A Thomson Company
Telephone: 734-669-7641
FAX:            734-930-7611
E-Mail:         jim.silverman_at_thomson.com