Re: Datafile sizes

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 10:18:47 -0700

Assuming you are not using 10g bigfile tablespaces, the maximum size for a datafile is just over 4 million blocks. So for a tablespace with an 8k block the max datafile size is just over 32000MB.

I'm not a VMS expert, but with Unix, the more datafiles there are, the more file descriptors are required and there is some overhead with that.   Thus sometimes bigger files is better than more, although this does impact recovery strategy.

Regards,

Greg Rahn
http://structureddata.org