Datafile sizes

From: <daniel.hubler_at_aurora.org>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:50:00 -0500

Looking for comments & experiences regarding sizes of datafiles.

We have a large (6+ TB) OLTP database, which currently has 2300+ datafiles.
A while ago, we stopped adding datafiles and were exclusively extending them.
But we are wondering how far we can/should go, with the size of individual data files.
Currently about 30% of the datafiles are at 8 gig.

BTW - this particular application resides on VMS.

Any ideas/thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan Hubler
Database Administrator
Aurora Healthcare