RE: installation question

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 07:46:48 -0400

Maureen,

If you are just talking the Rdbms install, then it has no impact. As long as you run the root.sh script before you try and start various database components, you will be fine. Specific examples are the Oracle agent and the listener (I think). Take a look at the root.sh script. For the Rdbms install, all it really does is to set permissions on some executable files. In a couple of cases, some files need to be owned by root - so a chown command is thrown in there. This is why the script needs to be run before you start running some components.

For other Oracle installations (like Oracle Applications & Portal), you *must* run root.sh before you proceed or your install gets all balled up.

As usual, your mileage may vary. I would make it a good habit to follow the installation instructions carefully, as what I said above may change for 10.x installations. Stuff changes fast around here!

Good Luck.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.