OT: Business Objects

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:35:55 -0500

I know Mark Strickland is using Business Objects, but not sure about who else. As a DBA, I often get requests to tune BO-generated queries, and so far they have all been fairly complex and ugly. Since I do not know much about BO, I do not know if the blame for suboptimal queries lies more with the product or with the fine folks using it; I am a little biased in thinking that the product is simply lacking, but I reserve the right to be wrong. =)

So first, my obvious question: have you in the user community found other tools that can generate "better" sql, one that exercises a little more intelligence about the back-end database? And next, assuming that perhaps the developers merely need a little knowledge transfer about BO, what BO Forums would you suggest?

Just for a little background, the developers are writing reports against a copy of an ERP datastore (SCT Banner in this case). I have been able to introduce them to analytics which is catching on slowly (BO does not inherently support analytics, does it?). The datastore is not a "warehouse" per se, in that the data has not gone through any ETL and there are no enhancing fact tables or star schemas outside what is provided for the OLTP application. Some extra indexes and a view or two, but that is it. 10gR2 for those who would ask. =) Not sure about the version of BO.

TIA
--

Charles Schultz

--