RE: DBLINKs in critical production system

From: Thotangare, Ajay \(GTI\) <Ajay_Thotangare_at_ml.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:01:18 -0400

Yes I agree with your explanation. How different it is accessing data from db link and direct connection without dblink considering I have a very good separate IP/card for dblink

regards,

Ajay

From: Mitchell, Travis [mailto:Travis.Mitchell_at_vacationclub.com] Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 11:03 AM
To: Thotangare, Ajay (GTI); oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: DBLINKs in critical production system

Imagine sticking a post-it with username/password information on your monitor... db_links are just about the same, especially pre-10g because the passwords are not encrypted.

I've walked in and found that my database is hung because I did a developer a favor so they could quickly pull some data from a production system. Their sql took forever, backup software tried to shutdown the development database but couldn't because of said sql, ORA-600s and some relationship building with Oracle support ensued. This was pre audit everything requirements, so I would recommend that if you have to use them, make sure your security team and the business has it approved in writing. Technically they can cause problems but from a security standpoint you can be heavily exposed.