Re: 9i de-supporting end of this July?

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:26:59 +0100

Well you are right and wrong!

Yes Oracle will de-support 9i at the end of July. At that point it goes into extended support. This isn't a new announcement by the way it has been around a while.

A couple of things have changed however. The first is that all products now have a 5 year life as per the quote below.

Premier Support provides a standard five-year support policy for Oracle
> Technology and Oracle Applications products. You can extend support for an
> additional three years with Extended Support for specific releases, or
> receive indefinite technical support with Sustaining Support.

The 5 years runs from general availability - so to July 2007 for 9.2 which was released in July 2002 and to Jan 2009 for 10.1 - so you have 18 months or so to do something about that release. :)

The second new thing is that Oracle announced quite recently that the first year of extended support for 9.2 would be free - that is until July 31 2008.

On 4/28/07, Syed Jaffar Hussain <> wrote:
> Hi List,
> I have learnt that Oracle is going to de-support version 9i by end of
> July. Is that true?
> Are there any official announcements?
> I don't see anything in the metalink.
> If the above is believed to be true, then, its really very short time that
> Oracle has given.
> I feel that in a way, they are forcing everyone to upgrade to 10g.
> Any limelight on this?
> --
> Best Regards,
> Syed Jaffar Hussain
> Oracle ACE
> 8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA
> "Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA