RE: Change Data Capture for ETL.

From: Larry G. Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:42:06 -0500

Do you care to clarify?

Your comments about CDC prior to 10.2, is it mainly about performance, or is it about bugs, difficult to administer, or a combination of all?

We've got some DW folks I work with a lot and they are wanting to use CDC, 9.2.0.7 for both source and target, which means it would still be using change tables somewhat similar to the MLOG$ tables along with triggers on the source table(s). They want this happening in "real time" against an already *very* active OLTP database.

We have put them off (they are looking at sometime in the next six months to implement) until we can actually test the impact, and suggested testing streams also with the idea it would be lighter weight. Plus give us time to find out what business need they are really trying to solve with this "real time" requirement for data in the DW from the OLTP. In other words is this *really* needed to meet the business need they are trying to take care of. Or is there someway besides real time replication to meet the need? Don't know the answer.

My understanding is that with CDC in 10g it is much lighter weight, using streams to hit the log files and AQ, and able to do asynchronously. It's been only the last few weeks that I've started to read up on CDC, able to spend an hour here or there trying to learn more about it. So any more information you have would be appreciated.

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net