Re: asynchronous PL/SQL development; DBMS_AQ ??

From: Cosmin Ioan <cosmini_at_bridge-tech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:39:13 -0700 (PDT)

hi Alberto, thx much for the reply --

  what I'm actually looking for is an extremely fast/responsive AQ mechanism for a scenario where we have a big module that could be (written) in a modular fashion. This module contains many snippets of code that could be written asynchronously, but at the end, I need to retrieve data, bits and pieces, from each sub-procedure.

  This **entire** main procedure may take 1-3 seconds, but in a large OLTP fast-transact environment, squeezing/parallelizing any operations that could be deemed asynchronous could be a life-saver.

  don't think that dbms_job is fast enough to account for milli or microseconds.... pooling every second or so, is definitely something we can't entertain....

  Any thoughts?
  thx,
  Cos

Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com> wrote:   If I have understood what you want - I usually use dbms_job for this, in a nutshell

create table remaining (counter int);
insert into remaining (counter) values (2); dbms_job.submit ( ... proc_1 );
dbms_job.submit ( ... proc_2 );
commit;

each proc will decrement counter upon completion (ok/ko).

Then in the "main thread" (the session that fired the jobs) i simply poll, say every second, table "remaining" until counter is zero.

You can get as sophisticated as you want from here (logging proc errors in the table as well is quite useful for example).

I think that examples of this technique can be found on asktom, I can search there for you if you want.

hth
alberto

--
Alberto Dell'Era