Re: TRUNCATE Before Drop ???

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:32:53 -0700

On 4/26/07, BN <bnsarma_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Jared, A few of our databases are still sitting in 81.7.4 , As usual we
> are short on disk space,
> DEV Team and App Prod Support Team came up with a few old tables they
> used during conversion which were retained as part of business requirement.
>
> Now they have decided to drop these tables to release space for us.
>
> Given a chance I would like test this with 10046 level 12 trace in all
> versions, but the only test system I have now is 10gRel2.

Personally, I would take any advice received from this list ( or any other source) and test it first myself on a non-critical system before using a method in production where I think there might be cause for concern.

It sounds as if you have cause for concern in the timing of dropping a large object.

Here are some choices:

*) Just do it ( do you feel lucky? )
*) Create a test system and test the procedures.
*) Upgrade the older versions if possible.

What may help you make the decision on the dictionary managed tablespaces is not the size of the table, but the number of extents.

DML on fet$ and uet$ is what takes all the time when dropping an object with a large number of extents.

How large is the number of extents? 1000? 5000? 10,000?

--
Jared Still