RAC and TAF

From: Shivaswamy Raghunath <shivaswamykr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:14:18 -0400

Hello.

I am on RedHat Linux, DB 10.2.0.2. I was playing with TAF.

I have a session with FAILOVER_TYPE=SESSION and FAILOVER_METHOD=BASIC. This session is inactive. I kill it with 'alter system kill session ' command from another session. The session gets killed. No issues.

Now I have new, similar session. I am doing a Select. Now again, from another session I kill the first with alter system. I find that, it "fails over" in the same instance and completes its SELECT. It has same SID but different serial# and failed_over status is True.

I thought for second case also, the session is supposed to be killed [Note: 97926.1] and not failed over. Is this intended behavior? Am I looking to a dated document?

Thanks,
Shiva