Re: Monitor usage of columns

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:01:47 -0600

Gene and Eric,

Similar to that, you might want to look at the script "dba_column_usage.sql" at http://www.EvDBT.com. I would suggest creating this view in any account other than SYS (such as SYSTEM) so as not to confuse other people or Oracle with thinking that a view named DBA_COLUMN_USAGE is a standard data dictionary view. I use DBA_COLUMN_USAGE as input when deciding on which columns to use as partition-keys, but you can use the information in a variety of ways. I've also created (but not yet posted) a PL/SQL procedure to sample the DBA_COLUMN_USAGE view periodically (a la STATSPACK) so I can add a time component this usage information.

Hope this helps....

Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc. 4651 Highway 73 - suite 308, Evergreen CO 80439

website = http://www.evdbt.com
email   = tim_at_evdbt.com
mobile  = +1-303-885-4526
fax     = +1-303-484-3608