Re: RMAN recovery from tape with automatic channels

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:35:08 -0700

On 3/20/07, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Whilst trying to simplify our restore procedures by using automatic
> channels
> to configure RMAN for tape, I have run into the following problem.

I have found the problem.

This command works:

configure channel device type 'sbt'
parms="BLKSIZE=1048576,ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=ordevdb01,NB_ORA_POLICY=ORA_test_ts03,NB_ORA_SERV=rsysnbu,NB_ORA_SCHED=OracleBackup)";

This command does not work:

configure channel device type 'sbt'
parms="BLKSIZE=1048576,env=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=ordevdb01,NB_ORA_POLICY=ORA_test_ts03,NB_ORA_SERV=rsysnbu,NB_ORA_SCHED=OracleBackup)";

Actually both commands execute properly. The problem occurs when trying to make a backup.

If the 2nd configure command is used, any attempt to backup with the automatic channel
will result in an ORA-27209.

Do you see the difference in the 2 commands?

The one that works has ENV in uppercase, while it is 'env' in the non-working one.

This must be an issue with the Veritas MML, as this problem does not occur when
using the dummy tape interface.

Only took me a month to figure it out. :(

--
Jared Still