Re: Need help identifying why my query is not using a unique index efficiently

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:47:04 +0200

That is not the real plan - explain plan always assumes the bind variable types as varchar2 (note the TO_NUMBER(:Z) in your plan) and especially, never peeks at bind values, which almost always occurs at runtime.

If you want the real plan, you need to actually execute the statement using representative values for the binds (using bind variables of the correct type - you probably want a NUMBER for :b1) and then either fetch the real plan from v$sql_plan or get it by tracing (TKPROF).

A shortcut is to use explain plan using literals instead of the binds, that simulates bind peeking - my preference is to always use a statement as close as possible to the real one, so with the bind variables and not the literals (since eg sometimes the CBO doesn't peek at the binds).

You also need to load representative data on the tables and then collect statistics using dbms_stats, since the plan is hugely affected by the data distribution.

HTH
Al

Alberto Dell'Era
"dulce bellum inexpertis"