Re: Case for Index Organized table?

From: jaromir nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:49:48 +0200

Ram,

> I got a requirement from the developers to build a new table which has a column that will hold every second of every
> business day. That is the only column in the table.

if the table will be used in an outer join for a report to get all "possible" seconds of a specific interval you may consider a fast dual generation of the table (10g). Something like create or replace view business_seconds as select /*+ cardinality (86400) */ trunc(sysdate) + (rownum-1) / (24 * 3600) as second from dual connect by level <= 24*3600;

Generally a care should be taken to define only one day definition, in case that reports spanning days or at least midnight are possible.

Regards,

Jaromir