RE: Case for Index Organized table?

From: Elliott, Patrick <patrick.elliott_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:37:39 -0500

Ahhh... yes, developer education... Did you ask them how they are manipulating the date values? Perhaps they do not know how to use the to_date function correctly. I have seen this many times where rather than leaving the column in the table in it's native form, they convert it to a string. The performance goes into the tank when every row has to be converted, and there is no chance of using indexes. Before you implement this nasty table, I would ask them to send the query that they say needs this table and see if indeed they are preventing index usage by converting the dates. Have them send the query before the addition of the new table also.

Pat