Re: rman connection load balancing in RAC

From: Ravi Madabhushanam <ravi.madabhushanam_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:34:12 +0530

Hi ,

I may not be able to answer all of your questions. But, in our environment we follow the below script for Database backup to tape.

run {

        set command id to 'ORACLE_FULL_BACKUP_ID';
        allocate channel t1 device type sbt connect
'rman_admin/xxx_at_rac1' debug=6 trace 5;
        allocate channel t2 device type sbt connect
'rman_admin/xxx_at_rac2' debug=6 trace 5;
        ....//backup process
        release channel t1;
        release channel t2;
         }

The above script does answer the question of load balancing (may be manually... ;-) ) but, session failover or "requirement to change the script in case of instance un-availability" are not answered.

Here rac1 & ra2 are tns aliases for each instance individually. No load balance, No Failover.... A plain tns entry..

i would like to know the opinion of others,in this regard..

Thanks,
Ravi.