Re: Conversion of a 3 TB NON-RAC Database To "ASM" - RAC in 10gR2 ?

From: arun chakrapani rao <arunchakrapanirao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 07:28:28 -0400

As I had updated earlier
in R2 u can just use RMAN to take a backup to the ASM file system. Just make sure you are taking it to the right disk group. prior to switch create redo log members in the ASM file system,once created then drop the redologs from the UFS.
keep using merge until the day you want to switch. just prior to switch take another incremental backup and merge it. then use the SWITCH command to switch the db. This whole thing takes around 1/2 hour job. once switched bring the db down and then use the dd command to copy the controlfile to ASM.
We did this for a 4 tb database and were successfull.

On 4/20/07, Alexander Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > but hey dont tell cp is not simpler than restore ... to ... from rman
> commands :-)
>
> Take it another way - there is no simpler thing than cp/mv/rm to
> destroy your database :)
> --
> Alexander Fatkulin

thanks