Re: How to find non printable characters in a column using regexp

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:50:19 -0400

dd yakkali wrote:
> I am trying to find the records where there are non printable
> characters, i am not having success with it

If what you want are just the lower ASCII characters, or just those characters which are not in 0-9,a-Z, etc., this is not a big problem (and others have responded quite well).

However, when my old boss asked me this question, he had really discovered a character set mismatch between the web server and the database server, which was complicated by the fact that the bad characters would only pop up with certain clients.

In other words, if, after you dump a piece of data, and the non-printing characters turn out to be something other than the traditional lower ASCII characters, you will need to research how Oracle handles character sets.