RE: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:59:16 -0700

That only applies to the autobackups after structural changes. I'm more concerned with the autobackups after other backup activities, in which case the controlfile autobackup goes to the first channel allocated, which is tape in my case. For more detail see the sections at the bottom of this page under "When RMAN Performs Control File Autobackups":

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmc onc1006.htm#BRADV111

I'm not positive, but I think that in the example given below, you would have to set the controlfile autobackup format for the restore to match the format used for the backup in order for rman to find it in a non-default directory. I'm not sure why anyone would want to change the format of the controlfile autobackups on disk to a non-default location - seems like asking for trouble to me. I guess it would be okay as long as it was well documented and known by all DBAs that they were stored in an alternate location.

Regards,
Brandon

From: Allen, Brandon [mailto:Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com] Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:16 PM
To: William Wagman; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

Bill,

I think there is a key point you may be missing. In your example you have to know that you backed up the file to '/somedisk/ctrlfile.bak' in order to restore it. In case of tape backups, you would need to know the handle of the backup piece on tape, and that information isn't always readily available, especially after a disk failure when you have lost your recovery catalog and/or control files and your backup logs.

The "restore ... from autobackup" commands can find the spfile & control file in your tape library w/o any knowledge other than your dbid.

Regards,
Brandon